My life and experiences

writen by me to help me get out emoational fustration at life as a dissabled man

Name:
Location: modesto, california, United States

im a dissabled man. i was born with cerebral polsey. though i can move all my limbs i cant walk. I thought i could use blogger to maybe help nyself get some things off my chest or inspire other people.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

war of the worlds review

Being a big fan of the 1953 classic version of War of the Worlds, I just could not wait to see what Steven Spielberg version would be like. So I took a friend who is also a fan of the 1953 classic adaptation and headed to the nearest theater. And on its premier day, we took in a matinee showing.

SYNOPIS

Ray Ferrier (Tom Cruise) thought that taking care of his two kids Robbie (Justin Chatwin) and Rachel (Dakota Fanning), for the weekend while their mother is away with the new man in her life would be easy. But some unfriendly visitors from the far reaches of space have other plans.

Now Ray must find a way to keep the ones he loves safe from the alien’s war machines, and desperate historical people trying to find safety for themselves. As if that wasn’t hard enough. Ray must try to redeem himself in there eyes of his children. All while the world seems to be crumbling all around them.

At first I wasn’t impressed with Cruise. He wasn’t that confident as I am used to seeing in his other movies. When I realized that he was supposed to play a frightened man (something I’ve never seen him play) I was ok with it. In the second part of the film he was the confident corrector I’m used to seeing. It was vary cool watching him go from your average Joe, to a hero.

Chatwin and Fanning were marvelous. I have never seen or heard of Chatwin before, but I was impressed with portrayal of a rebellious teenager. As for Fanning, what can I say I love her, she’s just so adorable. Acting seems to come as natural to her as speaking is for you and I. I like how she makes everything so believable in her tone, words and actions. She always seems to display a maturity and intelligence far beyond her years

The story line between this version and the one in 1953 are vary similar, of course aren’t all alien invasion movies similar. The core story is the same as H.G.Wells classic telling. The minor differences in this new telling in my opinion add emotion and story depth. There is even a bit back story, about just how well thought and long, the aliens attack plan was, and why they came. Something the movie in 1953 did not have. My only beef is that when you get to see the aliens themselves, they look remarkably similar to those in the move Independence Day.

Special effects were neat. The aliens ships and weapons got an upgrade from the 1953 version. But its easy to see why this film has a PG13 rating from the Motion Picture Asseoation . There are explosions everywhere, and people dieing. But let’s face it this has become the status quo in all the end of the world movies. And all of us have seen more then one end of the world type movies.

All and all Spielberg did a wonderful job adding something new to this movie, while still remaining true to the classic. It’s a fast passed roller coaster ride from beginning to end. If someone watches this move and likes it, then it will not feel like you sat through a 2 hour 25 minute movie. I am one of those people who feel remakes are never as good as the original, and I have to say this one is just as good and in some minor was it’s a little better, and I plan on adding this movie to my DVD collection someday!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Site Counters